Vision and Values
The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) is an international congregation of Catholic Sisters, Associates and Lay Consecrated who are dedicated to the full development of the human person through education, social justice, contemplation and the arts. Our work occurs in settings including preschools, elementary and high schools, parishes, tutoring centers, graduate programs, studios, prisons, immigrant centers, clinics, spirituality and retreat centers, and in programs and communities that seek a Gospel path and to promote systemic change.
The SNJM community promotes the following core values which are at the heart of our charism (“charism” means a gift from God for the good of God’s people):
- Full development of the human person: Cultivating and respecting the talents, abilities and potential of each person, contributing to the development of all aspects of a person's life.
- Education in the faith: Creating an atmosphere which invites people to live, develop and express their faith.
- Hospitality: Being a gracious, accepting and welcoming presence for each person.
- Dedication to women and children: Seeing, understanding and responding to the needs of women and children.
- Dedication to justice: Committing time, energy, resources to the pursuit of right relationships of equality, justice and solidarity.
- Service to people who are poor or marginalized: Reaching out and responding to people who are impoverished, abandoned or living at the fringes of society.
- Commitment to liberating action: Seeking with others the freedom needed to live life fully without oppression.
- Love for the names of Jesus and Mary: Embracing as guide, inspiration and strength the persons and names of Jesus and Mary.
History: Click here to learn about the people, places and events that have carried us through more than 150 years of ministry.
Prayers: Click here to see a list of prayers that reflect our values.
Membership: Click here to read the stories of some of our Sisters. The SNJM religious community includes three kinds of members: Sisters, Associates (women and men who promise to share our mission) and Lay Consecrated (women who take a vow of chastity, live out the SNJM charism and often commit themselves to additional vows).